We have installed the ‘Schick’ digital x-ray system in James Mehta’s and Dr Naz’s surgeries. Integrated to our computer network it has revolutionised our radiography and brings us into the 21st Century.
Some of the advantages are:
- No more waiting for x-ray films to be manually developed – pictures appear in approx 5 seconds! We can easily show you the problem!
- Patients no longer have to phone in for x-ray results
- Reduced radiation exposure for patients (up to 60% reduction in some cases)
- Better picture quality
- Reduced environmental impact – we no longer have to dispose of potentially toxic developing chemicals, or the lead backings in traditional x-ray film
- The x-ray images can be manipulated electronically for enhanced diagnostic ability
- No more lost x-rays as images are filed electronically
- The images can be printed or emailed when we refer patients to specialists
- The developing process is completely removed, often a source of inconsistency and error
We always minimise patients’ exposure to x-rays and will only take them when necessary and when the benefits outweigh any potential risks. We follow guidelines issued by the Royal College of Surgeons, and ‘routine’ x-rays are taken at anything from annually to three yearly intervals.
X-rays allow us to recognise problems very early, often before the lesion is visible to the naked eye and before the tooth is painful. Also any necessary treatment is likely to be less extensive and costly.
Our digital x-ray system is state-of-the-art – ask for a demonstration when you see your dentist.